What to Expect
Hey you wonderful human being!
Welcome Welcome to Warwick Aikido!
The lead instructor of our dojo is Chris Mooney Sensei, you can read more about him here.
In previous years, we have guest instructors as well. We will release updates as soon as we have a definite insight into the matter this year.
Disclaimer: This information will be subject to changes due to the current pandemic.
We are very much looking forward to seeing you on mats, but please keep the following in mind to proceed:
Disclaimer: The cost and time sections are subject to changes given the current government rules and university regulations.
As a Japanese martial art, etiquette is an important part of Aikido. At Gen Sen Jyuku, we, as ‘Deshi’ (meaning ‘student’ in Japanese), will need to pay a high level of respect to our Sensei (meaning ‘teacher’) and also to each other by following certain rules during training.
The following are some basic ones. A more holistic list of rules can be found here.
- Please bow to the Kamiza (where O sensei’s portrait is) when entering, leaving the dojo, and when stepping onto the mats.
- Please do not wear socks on the mats. Members normally bring a pair of flip flops and take them off with their heads facing the door when getting onto the mats.
- Please keep your training uniform clean, in good condition, and free from offensive odors.
- Please remove all accessories and makeup before training.
- Please remain as quiet as possible while training on the mats.
- Always consult with the seniors when in doubt.
Disclaimer: Session timetables are subject to changes
We train thrice every week.
The time of training for the 2020/21 academic year will be:
- Monday: 09:00-10:50 (free practice)
- Wednesday: 20:00 – 21:50
- Friday: 12:00 – 13:50
Sports and Wellness Hub
University of Warwick, CV4 7AL
You will need:
- A pair of flip flops
- A set of gi (we will make a group purchase for all the freshers).
- In the beginning, outfits that are suitable for physical training are acceptable.
- Weapons including a jo, a bokken, and a tanto (Optional).
Disclaimer: all of the pricing schemes are subject to changes:
To officially join (and be covered by the SU sports insurance), please visit our page on the SU sports club website to purchase the SU membership and club pass which are as follows:
•On-campus Warwick Sport Club Pass: £66
•Students’ Union Sports Federation Fee: £32
•Sports Club joining fee: £6 (this is per club you want to join)
Then here are the different types of mat fees for our club:
*In accordance with the latest Warwick Sports regulations, club members will need to sign up first to attend sessions.
Hence we have decided to charge by sessions.
* The 15-session pack shall cover all the sessions for one term.
- Purchase by 5 sessions: £30
- Purchase by 10 sessions (with a free gi): £40
- Purchase by 15 sessions (with a free gi): £55
- Purchase by 1 session (available on request after the purchase of another pack): £5