Etiquette does not only apply to the training sessions and being respectful with your partners. It is equally important to respect your training uniform. This includes offering to fold Sensei's and your seniors' hakamas.
Folding a hakama can appear to be quite a daunting task at first, so here is a step by step guide on how to fold a hakama correctly.
- Place the hakama on a flat surface such as the mats. Use your right hand to place the right trouser leg to the right, then smooth the back pleat.
- By holding the bottom of the hakama, turn it over so the front faces upward. Stretch it vertically. Fold the five pleats so they lie straight.
- Fold both sides into the middle, then fold it lengthwise both sides.
- Fold the longer front sashes to a half, then a quarter of their length, and cross them over.
- Tie up the shorter front sashes.
- You finished the left side.
- Do same with right side too.
- You pass the right string through the left sting and vice-versa.
photo credit: Takemusu Iwama Aikido Europe
Here is a video to clarify the folding technique:
video credit: TOZANDO INTL.
You should treat your own training uniform with similar care. Please find the visual guide on how to fold a gi below.
photo credit: karatebyjesse